I love bread. I eat bread. Sometimes I dream about diving into a pool like Scrooge McDuck, but instead of gold coins, the pool is full of baguettes. So, for all of you out there who laugh in the face of carbs like me, I’ve got something great for you: my mom’s homemade breadsticks! The recipe yields amazing breadsticks that are soft, delicious, simple and easy to make vegan.
Mom’s Homemade Breadsticks
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cup flour
- 1/2 cube butter or butter alternative like Earth Balance for vegan
- garlic salt
- parmesan cheese or no cheese for vegan
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Mix yeast/water, sugar, salt, flour, and knead for 3 minutes.
- Let rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Melt butter or butter alternative and pour into baking sheet. Tip and shake it around so the bottom of the pan gets coated.
- Roll the dough out to fit the cookie sheet.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut dough into 1″ strips, SEE PHOTO for cutting configuration.
- Flip each stick over so the top side gets coated in butter, then twist a few times. Sticks should be about 3/4″ apart on the sheet.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt and parmesan. Skip the parm if you are making these vegan, they are still really good with just garlic salt on top. You are more than welcome to try making vegan parmesan “cheese”. If you look closely at the photos the bottom right section has vegan parmesan on top. But honestly I’m not a fan of stuff pretending to be cheese, I’d rather just leave it out.
- Let rise for 15-20 minutes, preheat oven to 375.
- Bake for 20 minutes.