On my quest to find plant-based meals for regular Joe’s, this is one of my absolute favorite finds. It hits all of my requirements for something I’ll make over and over again…
- The ingredients are cheap, easy to find, and ones that I usually have on hand
- It makes great leftovers and travels well
- It’s fast! A warm, delicious, filling meal is only 30 minutes away
Even though there’s not too much to this simple recipe, I will say my chopper is a lifesaver for any recipe with diced red onion. Mine is the one found here on the Pampered Chef website. There’s also a Cuisinart Model that looks pretty comparable and is slightly cheaper.
So without any further life stories or “blog fluff” I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1/2 Red Onion diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1/2 cup Carrot diced
- 1 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Cumin ground
- 4 cups Veggie Broth
- 1 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes with juice
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can Pinto Beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 15 oz can White and Yellow Corn drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tsp Oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp Chipotle or Southwest Spice Mix
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2-1 cup Coconut Milk canned
- Chop and dice onion, bell pepper, and carrot so they’re ready. Open up, rinse and drain cans of beans and veggies so they are also ready.
- In a large pot, heat up avocado oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, and garlic. Sauté until fragrant, then add cumin and sauté until fragrant.
- Add broth and all of the canned veggies and legumes (tomatoes, black beans, pinto beans, and corn).
- Then add oregano, chipotle seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add desired amount of coconut milk to achieve the creamy level you are looking for.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Serve hot and add other garnishes like tortilla strips, avocado, lime, etc.