My dreams are made of Indian takeout, for real. For instance, veggie masala with garlic naan and a rose lassi is a meal I could eat every weekend. As far as restaurants go, my favorite places are…
- Bombay House in Salt Lake City, UT
- Tandoori Oven in Logan, UT
And, to get international on y’all…
- Sherpa Restaurant in Amsterdam
But for days when you can’t go out – or across the world – this recipe should do.
Tofu Veggie Masala
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- Pinch cinnamon
- Shake cayenne pepper
- garam masala to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 large yellow onion diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes with liquid blended
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 8 oz extra firm tofu cut into cubes
- 1-2 cups veggies (peas, cauliflower, etc) frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Combine all the spices, except garam masala, in a bowl and put aside for later.
- Blend tomatoes and liquid until smooth in blender or food processor.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add onions and salt and cook until clear.
- Add garlic and spices, except garam masala, and stir until fragrant.
- Then add tomatoes, coconut milk, cilantro, veggies, and tofu. *HOT TOFU TIP* I cut mine up into rectangles and use paper towels to press out extra water, then cut into cubes.
- Simmer until the veggies are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add garam masala, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot on top of jasmine or basmati rice.